How do I get an appointment at the Virginia DMV? If you are a new resident of Virginia, you may need to consider some of the processes and paperwork necessary to keep your vehicle’s documents in order, as well as the driver’s documents in order.
The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is the office in charge of processing driver’s license, vehicle and related paperwork in the state of Virginia.
You can schedule a DMV Virginia appointment online, by phone or in person at an office near you.
Request an appointment at DMV Virginia
- Log in from the Virginia DMV at https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/.
- Choose from Online Services, Driver’s License/ID, Vehicle or Commercial Services.
- You can schedule an appointment, exam, renew your license, ID card, request a duplicate, make changes or payments.
- However, you can also check hours of operation and access phone numbers.
- Some Virginia DMV offices will be able to assist you in person, others from telephone services.
At DMV Virginia, an appointment-only reservation system has been implemented for certain required in-person transactions that cannot be completed online, by phone or by mail.
Best times to visit the Virginia DMV
Here are some tips on the best times to visit the Virginia DMV.
- Afternoons tend to be busier than mornings
- The middle of the week tends to have shorter waits than Monday and Friday
- The Virginia DMV office starts the lunch break around noon, which leaves fewer employees. Try to avoid the lunch hour if possible.
- Make sure you have enough time to finish your paperwork, especially if you are obtaining a permit or taking a road test.
What to do at DMV Virginia
DMV Virginia is adding more and more online services so you can get things done without having to visit a physical office for an appointment. You can renew your vehicle registration, replace your license and more online.
These are just some of the services you can perform at DMV Virginia online. For more procedures, log on to the Virginia DMV website.
- Schedule an appointment at DMV Virginia
- Vehicle registration renewal
- Address change
- Driver’s license renewal
- Report a vehicle sold/transferred
- Driver’s license replacement
- Purchase of license plates
- Apply for a driver’s license
- REAL ID in Virginia
- Points and violations
- Practice Tests
- Medical Information
- Reinstate Driver’s License
- Virginia Vehicle Titling
- Registration Information
- Insurance Requirements
- Disabled Plates and Placards
- Sell/Donate a Vehicle
- Mailing applications
Real ID in Virginia
The REAL ID Act is a federal law that affects the way states issue driver’s licenses and identification cards if they are to be accepted for federal purposes, such as boarding domestic flights or entering secure military installations or federal facilities that require identification.
As of May 3, 2023, all individuals would be required to carry a REAL ID license to access certain federal buildings, enter nuclear facilities, and board commercial flights within the United States.
- For get your real ID in VirginiaIf you have a new license or ID card, you can renew your license or ID card online for a new Real ID.
- If you have not previously been issued a Virginia driver’s license or ID, go to a Virginia DMV office.
- Schedule an appointment at a DMV service center to obtain your Real ID Virginia.
What to bring to your Virginia DMV appointment
If you are applying for a driver’s license or travel ID (a REAL ID-compliant license or ID) in Virginia, you will need to bring some documents with you to your Virginia DMV appointment. If you have all of your documents with you, your visit will go faster and smoother. Documents include:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful presence, such as a passport or birth certificate
- Proof of social security number, such as a social security card or W-2 form
- Two documents proving your Virginia residency, such as a utility bill or lease.
All documents must be originals and stamped if necessary.
Virginia DMV Offices
As you may know, the DMV in Virginia is an office dedicated to serving anyone who wishes to process their vehicle, driver’s license or identification card documents throughout the state.
- Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
- P.O. Box 27412
- Richmond, VA 23269
- DMV Offices: DMVLocator
- Phone: +1 804-497-7100
If you are looking for a DMV in Virginia, you can also approach a DMV Select agent. These are local government or private entities that partner with the DMV to provide select DMV transactions in a secure environment. Each DMV Select partner has online access to the DMV, allowing the partner to update customer records immediately and issue vehicle decals.