How do I get an appointment at the Rhode Island DMV? If you are a new Rhode Island resident, you may need to consider some of the processes and paperwork necessary to keep your vehicle’s documents in order, as well as the driver’s documents in order.
The Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is the office in charge of processing driver’s license, vehicle, and related paperwork in the state of Rhode Island.
You can schedule a DMV Rhode Island appointment online, over the phone or in person at an office near you.
Request an appointment at DMV Rhode Island
- Log in from DMV Rhode Island at http://www.dmv.ri.gov/.
- Choose from Online Services, Real ID, ID Licensing, Business License, Testing or Forms.
- You can schedule an appointment, exam, renew your license, ID card, request a duplicate, make changes or payments.
- However, you can also check hours of operation and access phone numbers.
- Some DMV offices in Rhode Island will be able to assist you in person, others from telephone services.
At DMV Rhode Island, an appointment-only reservation system has been implemented for certain required in-person transactions that cannot be completed online, by phone or by mail.
Best times to visit the DMV Rhode Island
Here are some tips on the best times to visit the DMV Rhode Island.
- Afternoons tend to be busier than mornings
- The middle of the week tends to have shorter waits than Monday and Friday
- The DMV Rhode Island office starts the lunch break around noon, which leaves fewer employees. Try to avoid the lunch hour if possible.
- Make sure you have enough time to finish your paperwork, especially if you are getting a permit or taking a road test.
What to do at DMV Rhode Island
DMV Rhode Island is adding more and more online services so you can get things done without having to visit a physical office for an appointment. You can renew your vehicle registration, replace your license and more online.
The Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) allows you to complete a number of transactions online from the comfort of your home. Find out how to reserve a vanity plate, renew your vehicle registration or obtain your certified driver registration online.
Below is a complete list of some of DMV Rhode Island’s online services.
- Cancel Registration: Cancel an existing Rhode Island registration.
- Medical Certificate of Business License
- Change your address: Changing your address is quick and easy online.
- Verify License Status: Check the current status of your registered driver’s license with the DMV.
- License / State ID / CDL Renewal: Renew your driver’s license, state ID card or CDL online.
- Duplicate Driver License: Apply for a duplicate of your existing license.
- Duplicate Registration: Apply for a duplicate of your existing registration.
- Flashing Light Permits: Apply for a flashing light permit.
- Vehicle Insurance Reinstatement: Online insurance reinstatement process.
- Reinstate license for non-payment: Reinstate your license privileges if you have been suspended for non-payment or failure to appear.
- Licensed Driver Records: Download a copy of your driver record online.
- Registration Renewal: Renew a vehicle registration online.
- Road test appointments: Schedule, reschedule or cancel your road test appointment online.
- Temporary IRP Permits: Purchase and print temporary IRP truck permits.
- Vanity Plate Reservations: Online reservation service for a Rhode Island vanity license plate.
What to bring to your Rhode Island DMV appointment
If you are applying for a driver’s license or a travel ID (a REAL ID-compliant license or ID) in Rhode Island, you will need to bring some documents with you to your Rhode Island DMV appointment. If you have all of your documents with you, your visit will go faster and smoother. Documents include:
- Proof of identity, such as passport or birth certificate
- Proof of social security number, such as a social security card or W-2 form
- Two documents proving Rhode Island residency, such as a utility bill or lease agreement
DMV Rhode Island offices
As you may know, the DMV Rhode Island is an office dedicated to serving anyone who wishes to process their vehicle, driver’s license or identification card documents throughout the state.
- Division of Motor Vehicles600 New London Avenue
- Cranston, RI 02920-3024
- Phone DMV Rhode Island: (401) 462-4368