How do I get an appointment at the North Dakota DMV? If you are a new resident of North Dakota, you may need to consider some of the processes and paperwork necessary to keep your vehicle’s documents in order, as well as the driver’s own.
The Department of Motor Vehicles (MVD) is the office in charge of processing driver’s license, vehicle and related paperwork in the state of North Dakota. You can schedule an appointment at DMV North Dakota online, over the phone or in person at an office near you.
Request an appointment at DMV North Dakota
- Log in from the North Dakota DMV at https://www.dot.nd.gov/.
- Choose from Driver, Driver License, Vehicle and Motor Carrier Online Services.
- You can also log in here to schedule your DMV North Dakota appointment.
- Fill in your information and the type of service to be performed.
- You will also be able to check hours of operation and access phone numbers.
- Some DMV North Dakota offices will be able to assist you in person, others by phone.
At DMV North Dakota, an appointment-only reservation system has been implemented for certain required in-person transactions that cannot be completed online, by phone or by mail.
- To schedule an appointment you can call toll-free: 1-855-633-6835
Best times to visit the North Dakota DMV
Here are some tips on the best times to visit the North Dakota DMV.
- Afternoons tend to be busier than mornings
- The middle of the week tends to have shorter waits than Monday and Friday
- The North Dakota office starts the lunch break around noon, which leaves fewer employees. Try to avoid the lunch hour if possible.
- Make sure you have enough time to finish your paperwork, especially if you are getting a permit or taking a road test.
What to do at DMV North Dakota
DMV North Dakota is adding more and more online services so you can get things done without having to visit a physical office for an appointment. You can renew your vehicle registration, replace your license and more online.
Here are some of the services you will be able to perform at DMV North Dakota online appointments.
Here are some of the services you will be able to perform at DMV Appointments North Dakota online.
Renew, replace or update a North Dakota license, permit or identification card. Transfer a license from another state.
Licenses / Permits / Identification Cards
- License Fees
- Driver’s license questions and answers
- Proof of Address Requirements (for non-business and non-REAL ID applicants)
- Driver’s license requirements
- ID card requirements
- REAL ID Information
- Learner’s Permit (new drivers)
- Online Driver License Renewal
- How do I renew my ND license?
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Requirements
- Motorcycle Requirements
- Drivers from other nations
- Driver Records / Suspensions
- Online driving record request
- Online administrative hearing request
- Veteran’s Indicator
Replace / Update / Register
- Replace a lost, stolen or damaged ND License
- Requirements for transferring an out-of-state license to ND
- Change of address or name
- Online organ and tissue donor registration
Online status check
- Driver’s license status verification
- Verification of driver’s license date of birth
- CDL Medical Certificate Status Verification
What to Bring to Your North Dakota DMV Appointment
If you are applying for a driver’s license or a travel ID (a REAL ID-compliant license or ID) in North Dakota, you will need to bring some documents with you to your North Dakota DMV appointment. If you have all of your documents with you, your visit will go faster and smoother. Documents include:
- Proof of identity, such as passport or birth certificate
- Proof of social security number, such as a social security card or W-2 form
- Two documents proving North Dakota residency, such as a utility bill or lease agreement
North Dakota DMV offices
As you may know, the DMV North Dakota is an office dedicated to serving anyone who wishes to process their vehicle, driver’s license or identification card documents throughout the state.