How do I get an appointment at the Massachusetts DMV? If you are a new resident of Massachusetts, you may need to consider some of the processes and paperwork necessary to keep your vehicle’s documents in order, as well as the driver’s documents in order.
The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) is the office in charge of processing driver’s license, vehicle and related paperwork in the state of Massachusetts.
You can schedule an appointment at DMV Massachusetts online, by phone or in person at an office near you.
Request an appointment at DMV Massachusetts
- Log in from the Massachusetts DMV at mass.gov/orgs/massachusetts-registration-of-motor-vehicles.
- Go to the services available and choose the option you wish to perform at DMV Massachusetts.
- You will be able to access the programs, services and resources online, as well as schedule your appointment at DMV Massachusetts.
- However, you will also be able to check hours of operation and access phone numbers.
- Some DMV Massachusetts offices will be able to serve you in person, others from telephone services.
At DMV Massachusetts, an appointment-only reservation system has been implemented for certain required in-person transactions that cannot be completed online, by phone or by mail.
Appointment reservations can only be made online and are available on a rolling basis up to 14 business days in advance.
You can also log in here to make a reservation at a DMV Service Center.
Best times to visit the Massachusetts DMV
Here are some tips on the best times to visit the Massachusetts DMV.
- Afternoons tend to be busier than mornings
- The middle of the week tends to have shorter waits than Mondays and Fridays
- The DMV office starts the lunch break around noon, which leaves fewer employees. Try to avoid the lunch hour if you can.
- Be sure to allow enough time to complete your transaction, especially if you are obtaining a permit or taking a road test.
Online Services at DMV Massachusetts
DMV Massachusetts is adding more and more online services so you can get things done without having to visit a physical office for an appointment. You can renew your vehicle registration, replace your license and more online.
The main reasons you would need to visit the DMV office in person are because you just moved to the state, are getting a license for the first time, or registering a new car. Other than that, you should be able to complete your business from home.
What to bring to your Massachusetts DMV appointment
If you are applying for a driver’s license or a travel ID (a REAL ID-compliant license or ID) in Massachusetts, you will need to bring some documents with you to your Massachusetts DMV appointment. If you have all of your documents with you, your visit will be quicker and smoother. Documents include:
- Proof of identity, such as a passport or birth certificate
- Proof of social security number, such as a social security card or W-2 form
- Two documents proving Massachusetts residency, such as a utility bill or lease agreement
Massachusetts DMV offices
As you may know, the Massachusetts DMV is an office dedicated to serving anyone who wishes to process their vehicle, driver’s license or identification card documents throughout the state. Whether you are a new resident or not, you can use the RMV Online Service Center to access over 40 services that can be completed online and bypass the RMV.
- Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles RMV
- PO Box 55889, Boston, MA 02205
- RMV Massachusetts: Locations