Get an appointment at DMV Maine. If you are a new Maine resident, you may need to consider some of the processes and paperwork necessary to keep your vehicle’s documents in order, as well as the driver’s documents in order.
The Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) is the equivalent of the office in charge of processing driver’s license, vehicle and related paperwork in the state of Maine. You can schedule a BMV Maine appointment online, by phone or in person at an office near you.
Whether it’s to renew your license, take a driver’s test, or simply change your address, the DMV Maine is an important area which offers a number of services for the vast majority of people.
While you can often go in person and invest your time in expediting your paperwork, you may choose to use other online avenues to complete your driver’s license paperwork.
Steps to get an appointment at DMV Maine
- Log in from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles BMV Maine at https://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/.
- Go to Available Services or Online Services on the right side.
- You will be able to access programs, services and resources online, as well as schedule your appointment at BMV Maine.
- However, you will also be able to check hours of operation and access phone numbers.
- Some BMV Maine offices will be able to serve you in person, others from telephone services.
Keep in mind the wide variety of services you can perform online at the BMV Maine, such as scheduling your driver’s test, renewing your license online, among others.
Best time to make an appointment at BMV Maine
Keep in mind the following tips for going to the BMV Maine Driver’s License office.
- Afternoons tend to be busier than mornings.
- The middle of the week tends to have shorter waits than Mondays and Fridays.
- Please note that some DMV branches will adjust their hours of operation.
- DMV Maine offices are open for walk-in service and scheduled appointments.
- The DMV Maine office breaks for lunch around noon, leaving fewer employees. You can avoid getting a DMV Maine Appointment at that time if you can.
- Be aware of the time it will take to complete your DMV Maine appointment, especially if you are obtaining a permit or taking a road test.
- Some paperwork can be completed over the phone or online. Don’t forget to call or mail to make sure you are aware of all the requirements for completing your paperwork.
BMV Maine Online Services
The Maine BMV is adding more and more online services so you can get things done without having to visit a physical office for an appointment. You can renew your vehicle registration, replace your license and more online.
- Driver’s license and identification cards
Vanity plate availability check
Pay traffic fines
- Commercial Vehicles
The main reasons you would need to visit the DMV office in Maine, are because you have just moved to the state, are getting a license for the first time or registering a new car. Other than that, you should be able to complete your paperwork online from the web platform or over the phone.
License and ID Card Appointment in BMV Maine
As is well known, many new residents and those who already live in Maine often need to make an appointment for a driver’s license, driver’s test, renewal, identification card, permits, and other paperwork.
You can use the Maine BMV online service, if you are a Maine resident with an active non-commercial license, motorcycle license, restricted motorized bicycle license or a Maine ID card, you can use the service to process a renewal or replacement of your driver’s license or ID card.
- The following link will facilitate the online process for you: https://apps1.web.maine.gov/online/bmv/dlr_v2/.
During the process you can:
- Change your address.
- Update your hair color, height or weight.
Must have on hand:
- Your social security number
- A valid credit card (Visa or MasterCard)
- A printer
Maine BMV Phone
When you apply for your appointment or do any online paperwork from the Maine BMV, you may encounter some inconveniences or have doubts in the process. To resolve them, you can contact the BMV phone number directly.
If you have any of these difficulties:
- You have not provided proof of legal presence to the BMV.
- There is no hair color recorded on your Maine driver’s license or identification card.
- You receive an error message after attempting to use the online service stating that you must provide proof of legal presence or proof of Maine residency.
You can reach the Maine BMV phone number: 624-9000x 52114.
Resolving License Suspensions in Maine from the BMV
Did you know that most driver’s license suspensions can be resolved over the phone? If your license to operate a motor vehicle is suspended or revoked and you wish to process a renewal or replacement of your non-commercial driver’s license online, you will need to call 624-9000.
However, please note that you will also need to go to a BMV office or mobile unit in Maine if:
- You have a driver’s license from another state.
- You want to renew your existing driver license or REAL ID card, or apply for a Maine driver license or REAL ID card for the first time.
- You have a commercial driver’s license.
- You have changed your name since your last renewal.
- You have developed a medical condition or an existing medical condition has changed since your last renewal.
- You want to remove a restriction on corrective lenses.
For additional information on how to renew or replace your Maine driver’s license or identification card, you can go to the BMV website at: http://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/licenses/renewal.html.