How do I get an appointment at the Illinois DMV? If you are a new Illinois resident, you may need to consider some of the processes and paperwork necessary to keep your vehicle’s documents in order, as well as the driver’s documents in order.
The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is the office in charge of processing driver’s license, vehicle and related paperwork in the state of Illinois.
You can schedule an appointment DMV Illinois OnlineYou can schedule an appointment by phone or in person at an office near you.
Request an appointment at DMV Illinois
- Log in from DMV Illinois at https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/.
- Choose from Online Services, Driver’s License/ID, Vehicle Registration or schedule your appointment.
- You can schedule an appointment, exam, renew your license, ID card, request a duplicate, make changes or payments.
- However, you can also check hours of operation and access phone numbers.
- Some Illinois DMV offices will be able to assist you in person, others from telephone services.
At DMV Illinois, an appointment-only reservation system has been implemented for certain required in-person transactions that cannot be completed online, by phone or by mail.
Best times to visit the Illinois DMV
Here are some tips on the best times to visit the Illinois DMV.
- Afternoons tend to be busier than mornings
- The middle of the week tends to have shorter waits than Monday and Friday
- The Illinois DMV office starts the lunch break around noon, which leaves fewer employees. Try to avoid the lunch hour if possible.
- Make sure you have enough time to finish your paperwork, especially if you are getting a permit or taking a road test.
Real ID in Illinois
Under the Real ID Act of 2005, minimum security standards are established for issuing and producing licenses and identification cards in all states.
As of May 3, 2023, all persons in Illinois would be required to carry a REAL ID license to access certain federal buildings, enter nuclear facilities and board commercial flights within the United States.
Illinois Real ID Requirements
- To get your real ID in Illinois, you can renew your license or ID card online for a new real ID.
- If you have not previously been issued an Illinois driver’s license or ID, go to an Illinois DMV office.
- To apply for a REAL ID card, you must present an identity document that includes your date of birth and your real, full name. (Passport, birth certificate, green card, receipts)
- Schedule an appointment at a DMV service center to obtain your Illinois REAL ID.
Steps to obtain your Real ID
- Gather the documents you will need to apply for your REAL ID.
- Complete the application online or go to a DMV office in Illinois.
- Go to a DMV office, keeping in mind the estimated service time.
- Bring your documentation with you and process your REAL ID in Illinois.
What to Bring to Your Illinois DMV Appointment
If you are applying for a driver’s license or a travel ID (a REAL ID-compliant license or ID) in Illinois, you will need to bring some documents with you to your Illinois DMV appointment. If you have all of your documents with you, your visit will go faster and smoother. Documents include:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful presence, such as a passport or birth certificate
- Proof of social security number, such as a social security card or W-2 form
- Two documents proving your Illinois residency, such as a utility bill or lease.
All documents must be originals and stamped if necessary. If you already sent some documents when you applied for your appointment online, depending on the procedure to be performed, you will need to bring mainly an identification card or your driver’s license.