How do I get an appointment at the Louisiana DMV? If you are a new resident of Louisiana, you may need to consider some of the processes and paperwork necessary to keep your vehicle’s documents in order, as well as the driver’s own.
The Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) is the office in charge of processing driver’s license, vehicle and related paperwork in the state of Louisiana.
You can schedule an appointment OMV Louisiana OnlineYou can schedule an appointment by phone or in person at an office near you.
Request an appointment at DMV Louisiana
- Log in from the Louisiana DMV at https://www.expresslane.org/.
- Choose from Vehicle Services, Driver Services, Driver License, CDL, ID/CARDS, or Online Services.
- You can schedule an appointment, exam, renew your license, ID card, request a duplicate, make changes or payments.
- However, you can also check hours of operation and access phone numbers.
- Some Louisiana DMV offices will be able to assist you in person, others from telephone services.
At DMV Louisiana, an appointment-only reservation system has been implemented for certain required in-person transactions that cannot be completed online, by phone or by mail.
Best times to visit the Louisiana DMV
Here are some tips on the best times to visit the Louisiana DMV.
- Afternoons tend to be busier than mornings
- The middle of the week tends to have shorter waits than Monday and Friday
- The Louisiana DMV office starts the lunch break around noon, which leaves fewer employees. Try to avoid the lunch hour if possible.
- Make sure you have enough time to finish your paperwork, especially if you are getting a permit or taking a road test.
What to do at DMV Louisiana
DMV Louisiana is adding more and more online services so you can get things done without having to visit a physical office for an appointment. You can renew your vehicle registration, replace your license and more online.
Here are some of the services you’ll be able to perform at DMV Louisiana online appointments.
- Apply for a new license
- Renew license
- Real ID
- Duplicate and replacement license
- Transfer license in Louisiana
- Driver Registration
- Medical and vision requirements
CDL driver’s license
Identification Card ID/Cards
Real ID in Louisiana
Under the Real ID Act of 2005, minimum security standards are established for issuing and producing licenses and identification cards in all states.
As of May 3, 2023, all persons would be required to carry a REAL ID license to access certain federal buildings, enter nuclear facilities, and board commercial flights within the United States.
Louisiana Real ID Requirements
- To obtain your real ID in Louisiana, you can renew your license or ID card online for a new real ID.
- If you have not previously been issued a Louisiana driver’s license or ID, go to a Louisiana DMV office.
- To apply for a REAL ID card, you must present an identity document that includes your date of birth and your real, full name. (Passport, birth certificate, green card, receipts)
- Schedule an appointment at a DMV service center to obtain your Louisiana REAL ID.
Steps to obtain your Real ID
- Gather the documents you will need to apply for your REAL ID.
- Complete the online application from DMV Louisiana appointments.
- Go to a DMV field office, keeping in mind the estimated service time.
- Bring your documentation with you and apply for your REAL ID in Louisiana.
What to Bring to Your Louisiana DMV Appointment
If you are applying for a driver’s license or a travel ID (a REAL ID-compliant license or ID) in Louisiana, you will need to bring some documents with you to your Louisiana DMV appointment. If you have all of your documents with you, your visit will go faster and smoother. Documents include:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful presence, such as passport or birth certificate
- Proof of social security number, such as a social security card or W-2 form
- Two documents proving your Louisiana residency, such as a utility bill or lease.
All documents must be originals and stamped if necessary. If you already sent some documents when you applied for your appointment online, depending on the procedure to be performed, you will need to bring mainly an identification card or your driver’s license.